Opinion Paper on Revision of the Law on Securing, Etc. of Equal Opportunity and Treatment between Men and Women in Employment
Japan Federation of Bar Associations
June 16, 2005
Aiming to revise the Law on Securing, Etc. of Equal Opportunity and Treatment between Men and Women in Employment (the Equal Employment Opportunity Law) in 2006, the Cabinet is now considering the following 4 points.
- Prohibition of gender discrimination against both men and women
- Prohibition of unfair treatment of women due to pregnancy and childbirth, etc.
- Prohibition of indirect gender discrimination
- Policies for effectively promoting measures to be taken by employers
However, besides the above mentioned four points, it is necessary to review the overall Equal Employment Opportunity Law and related rules and regulations for establishing practical relief bodies and developing law on judicial relief in order to effectively enforce this law.
On June 16, 2005, the Board of Governors of the Japan Federation of Bar Associations (JFBA) adopted an opinion paper on the following contents relating to the revision of the Equal Employment Opportunity Law in consideration of the actual administration of this law since its establishment and actual relief provided by lawsuit settlement on gender discrimination in wages, etc.
The opinion paper was submitted to authorities concerned including the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare on June 24, 2005.
Contents of the opinion paper
- General (prohibition of gender discrimination against both men and women, etc.)
- Securing equality between men and women in employment
- Measures to be taken for employment of woman workers, etc.
- Relief for violation, etc.
- Effectiveness, sanctions, investigations, etc. of violation of prohibitions
II. Revision of related laws including the Labour Standards Law