Proposal for Civil Society Consultation on Strengthening the UN Human Rights Treaty Body System
April 18, 2011
Japan Federation of Bar Associations
Full Text (PDF:30KB)
The civil society consultation on strengthening treaty body system was held in Seoul, Korea, on April 19-20, 2011. We submitted this proposal to the consultation.
Japan Federation of Bar Associations, based on these experiences of engaging with the treaty bodies as a national NGO, would like to make the following proposals to strengthen the functioning, effectiveness, and impact of human rights treaty bodies.
- Enhancing access to the views and General Comments/Recommendations of treaty bodies
- Enhancing access of national stakeholders to the reporting procedures and enhancing visibility of the activities of the treaty bodies
- Consultation as much as possible in the process of preparing State party's reports and NGO reports and reflection of the consultation's outcome into the State party's reports
- Strengthening efforts targeting judges and parliament members who have important roles in the implementation of the human rights treaties at the national level, including implementation of the recommendations
- Encouraging active participation of national bar associations and other lawyers' groups in the reporting procedures